Law Enforcement Liaison (LEL) Distracted Driving and Training Project support the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) with coordinating the Click It or Ticket (CIOT) mobilization and the Impaired Driving Mobilization (IDM), and with the law enforcement Selective Traffic Enforcement Programs (STEP’s). LEL’s travel throughout the State of Texas to teach distracted driving courses to law enforcement. The law enforcement course is 4 hours in length and is approved through the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) in order to provide mandated continuing education hours under general course number 3208, Distracted Driving Law Enforcement. Due to the generous partnership between TMPA and TxDOT we provide the training completely free of charge and report the training directly to TCOLE.
Law Enforcement Liaison Menu of Services
- Meet with new perspective traffic safety subgrantees to generate interest in Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) grant opportunities.
- Provide training to law enforcement on traffic safety grant proposals and grant creation.
- Provide training to law enforcement agencies on traffic safety grant management and use of eGrants.
- Promote traffic safety incentive programs.
- Assist subgrantee agencies with underperformance issues.
- Assist subgrantee agencies with eGrants Performance reporting and Request for reimbursements
- Accompany Traffic Safety Specialist when requested.
- Provide assistance to Traffic Safety Specialist when requested at traffic related events, campaigns, conferences or community events to promote TxDOT programs.
- Perform as the liaison between TxDOT and law enforcement agencies.
- Provide distracted driving presentations to law enforcement.
- Provide traffic safety presentations to governmental agencies upon request and by approval of TxDOT PTS Program Manager.
- Provide child passenger safety seat education to partner organizations and assists at CPS checkup events per LEL availability.
- Any request outside this Menu of Services must be approved by the TxDOT PTS Program Manager.
To learn more, contact Emma Mendoza, Program Coordinator at 512-454-8900 or toll free at 800-848-2088.